Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Miracle Whip Commercials

Here we go:
http://youtu.be/6n1vtZR16RY

So, Miracle Whip, I guess being the bad boys of sandwich condiments, went with an "in your face" stance to their advertising. Which makes sense, I guess, since you either really like Miracle Whip or you really hate it. Honestly, I can't even remember where I stand on this front. Perhaps that makes me Switzerland in these condiment war. Or, possibly, it makes me a traitor to both either since I won't take a side. Not sure. Frankly, I can't remember if I like Miracle Whip or not since it has been so long since I've actually remembered eating it. I think the hype that not-everyone clearly likes it makes me worry if I am on the side that doesn't. With odds like that, why bother? What could I possible be missing?

And that's where I see the flaw in this advertising campaign. Basically, they're saying, "we know we're not for everybody. Therefore, if you've tried us, and you like us, you're with us and the others be damned. But, like most rebel groups, how do you know if this movement if for you if you've never tried it? You basically need another rebel to introduce you to the idea and say, "this is the way." To which your repsonse is, "Yes. This is the way," or you get shot and left on the side of the road. Wait... maybe I'm getting my politics mixed up with my sandwich fixings.

Irregardless of this, "I'm different so I eat different" sentiment that the ad wizards came up with, I think this theming works in that they acknowledge the fact that not everyone likes or going to like Miracle Whip. Apparently, though, if you do, you'll be one of the elite few who say they eat the product while they listen to bands who only release new music on vinyl and drink Keystone beer only because it is so cheap, it's hip.

Another commercial aired tonight that I haven't seen yet.



The link: http://youtu.be/01xCAPQqcOs

Apparently, they are looking for newly wed couples who have or are willing to have a difference in a opinion about Miracle Whip. Frankly, for $250,000, I will tell you that Miracle Whip is the antichrist while my wife jumps up and down stating she saw Jesus in the white stuff just to win. There's a few that have both couples agree. But, in this day in age of reality television, we all know that total agreement doesn't leave much for story and drama.



They also went to this length:
http://youtu.be/CcDo8Uh7rn4

Pauly D, really? You paid that guy to do a commercial? While he's apparently getting tailored for a suit? As if this guy ever saw the need to wear a suit. I'm pretty sure he'd wear an Affliction shirt to his own wedding.


Then there's this:
http://youtu.be/h8ogxEcB1fA

So, if you like Miracle Whip, you're in line with this guy? That's not much of a selling point. "Hey, this guy likes our product. Try it, and see if you're cool like him."

BUT, I have to admire the advertising agency's balls to say, "Hey, this product isn't for everyone. It never really has been; let's embrace that."  I kind of like that approach because it's honest and straight forward. Basically, it doesn't treat me, the consumer, like an idiot or a cow.

I do like this one:

Probably because I literally just watched Old School a few hours ago in which Carville has a cameo, but I think there is honest truth in his statement. That tomato better be ripe and ready to go because not even Miracle Whip - which has 'miracle' in its name - can save it.

In the end, I'd have to say Bravo to the ad execs who Miracle Whip entrusted to handle their media blitz. I think it's fun, truthful, and while it won't win everybody, I think the sheer "I'm curious to find out where I stand" factor is enough of a win for that company. Hell, I'm curious to go buy a bottle just to see if it's still as nasty as I remember it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment