Sunday, August 14, 2011

Carl's Jr. Commercials, in general

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlMfo20RPgk

Alright, this is one early example, but not the ones that set me off to boycott the company. The setting is three firemen eating, which feeds the masculinity aspect. Basically, if real men eat this, then so should you... that is, if you're man enough.

Then, to convey the hotness of the jalapeno burger (of which is not that spicy, from what I'm told, but that is irrelevant), they have the guy sweating. That's a big, tough fireman who is sweating... so that must be one spicy burger.

All of this is fine, and it is shot well, though I don't enjoy unjustified shakey cam styles of filming. My point here is the initial bite of the burger and the chewing. I swear that the mic is set up in his left lower molar. It is absolutely unnecessary! Ommiting the sounds of someone eating wouldn't make sense, either, but this is an apparently busy firestation in which they apparently eat in the garage (that's a separate issue). There is a lot of radio noise and even the occasional firetruck airhorn honk, because that's what firefighters do when hanging out in their station, that there's no need to hear every little fiber of that food being processed in that guy's mouth! Also, the foley guy who handled the empty soda sounds should be fired. That was the worst effect ever.

This is just one example why I walked away from that franchise.

Here's another:
http://youtu.be/fw_fd5T7IaQ

Excellent, a hot chick. Guys like this. Most guys don't even know what she is selling, but it came from Carl's Jr. so they should buy it. That's fine... it's beer advertising 101 but applied to food.

Except that her chomping on to that burger is pretty damned gross. Listen, I don't have major issues of people chewing. It has to happen and it's fine. We all shit. However, I don't need to hear it amplified on my TV screen! The audio is way more than a boom mic being held off screen. This has been boosted with foley from a jackal eating a fallen gazelle in the Serengeti.

Oh, in case you were wondering, there is an almost 3 minute documentary of the exciting filming of this commercial, for whatever reason: http://youtu.be/16J5LKmeO2g

How about this one: http://youtu.be/lkQLAqSNyUA

I like the comedy here because I often think the process of directing someone to clean something on their face is unnecessarily complicated, I can't help but notice that every piece of food makes noise. Chomping into the burger, once again. Thanks. And the fries make a noise as she takes a few. I've never heard such noisier fries. Even the drink makes noise when she drinks it in an effort to overcompensate the fact the actress isn't actually drinking soda from it. She drinks from it, giving a gurgling empty register, but then she moves it and it sounds like it has content in it.

More chewing: http://youtu.be/UuY1U88ZYcQ

Alright, you all get the point. To be honest, I don't even know if their ad campaign is still on track with this. If it isn't, it's comforting, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to go back. I mean, I just watched these commercials (and others) and now I feel sick.

I'll leave you with this for a laugh: http://youtu.be/dkGUI4bnQbQ

No comments:

Post a Comment